Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Team Goals Applicable For Life


Last night was my U-10 boys first soccer practice.  We've got a few new kids and of course the core boys I've had the pleasure of coaching (including my son Josh) for the past several seasons.  I've been waiting all summer to get the new season under way so to say I was excited last night was an understatement.

This year I decided to have set some simple team goals which I hope to reiterate every time we take "the pitch"

Have fun
Work hard
Do My (our) best

As I was walking this morning I got to thinking about our stated goals and how they went over last night.  I like them very much.  The boys seemed to like them as well.  Which got me thinking about my how I might approach applying these same goals to more than just soccer.  Perhaps I should look at applying them to my everyday life. What kind of impact might they make on me?

Have fun

How about surrounding myself with only positive people who I enjoy being around. People that make me happy and give me a good laugh from time to time.  I know who qualifies in my network of peeps, what about you?

Work hard

Do the kind of work I enjoy doing, with the people I enjoy doing it with. I bet if I do that I will find hard work doesn't seem so hard.  I'm going to do more of that.  Could you do the same?

Do My Best

In everything I do, in anything I attempt or with something I try to learn, doing my best is all that matters.  Forget your critics, you know in your heart of hearts when you've put out your very best effort and in the end, that is all that matters.  It feels good when you do your best because it gives you a real sense of accomplishment.  Whether it's coaching a soccer team, giving a speech or being a dad, I should always strive to do my best and will.  How about you?  Are you doing your best at whatever it is your are doing?

I think my three powerfu goals for my little wide-eyed Hot Shots soccer team couldn't have come at a more perfect time for my own life and career.  Perhaps you'll feel the same and join in me in trying to live up to them.

Ripple On!!!

No comments: